LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – Income eligible renters who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and have past due rent, or landlords who have experienced a loss in income because of unpaid rent, may be eligible to get financial assistance now through the state of California COVID-19 Rent Relief program, also known as Housing Is Key.

The California COVID-19 Rent Relief program was created by the COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act, with eviction protections signed into law by Gov. Newsom on Jan. 29.

Funding comes from the $2.6 billion in federal emergency rental assistance program to states and local jurisdictions.

Both renters and landlords in Lake or Mendocino counties can apply for California COVID-19 Rent Relief.

If landlords choose to participate, they will receive 80 percent of an eligible tenant’s unpaid rent for the period of April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20 percent of unpaid rent.

Applications from landlords or renters must include all required information and eligibility verification items to be processed. NCO’s bilingual Disaster Case Managers will be available to help applicants complete their online applications. Interested applicants can call NCO at 707-467-3200 to schedule an appointment to complete an application.

For more information on program eligibility, required application information, and to start the application process, visit or call 833-430-2122.

NCO is the Community Action Agency that serves Lake and Mendocino Counties, as well as parts of Humboldt, Sonoma, Del Norte, and Solano counties. NCO reacts and adjusts to community needs, including disaster response and recovery. For more information visit or call 707-467-3200.